The Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ) with its 1,100 employees has gained an excellent reputation as an international competence centre for environmental sciences. We are part of the largest scientific organisation in Germany, the Helmholtz association. Our mission: Our research seeks to find a balance between social development and the long-term protection of our natural resources.
We are offering in a third-party funded project within the Department of Environmental Microbiology in the working group of Microbial Bioelectrocatalysis and Bioelectrotechnology a
PhD position (m/f/x) in Electrobiotechnology
Subject: Organic electrochemistry / Electrochemical engineering
Starting date: 1st May 2019, working time: 65%, limited to 3 years, subject to the final provision of funds
Within an application-oriented third-party fundeded project in collaboration with the University of Tübingen a new technology platform for the combined microbial and electrochemical synthesis of fuels/ fuel additives shall be established.
Based on the expertise of the research group (https://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=38424) and particularly based on the prework by Urban et al. (Energy Environ. Sci. 10 (10), 2231 – 2244) electroorganic synthesis in aqueous solutions will be elucidated, improved and engineered up to the liter-scale.
- Master degree (or equivalent) in Chemical engineering/ Biochemical engineering or Chemistry, Biochemistry and Biotechnology with focus on application oriented research;
- Knowledge in electrochemistry is essential;
- Expertise in electroorganic synthesis is a desirable;
- Expertise in microbiology or extraction technology is a strong surplus;
- Experimental skills and conceptual thinking are prerequisites;
- German and English language skills are necessary as well as the willingness to integrate in our interdisciplinary and international team.
- Top level interdisciplinary research at a research centre which enjoys an excellent reputation within Germany as well as internationally
- Excellent technical facilities
- Work in inter-disciplinary and multinational teams
- Excellent links to national and international research networks
- Support and optimal training courses by our graduate school (HIGRADE)
- Remuneration in accordance with the TVöD public-sector pay grade 13
Equal opportunities are an integral part of our personnel policy; we therefore particularly welcome applications from qualified women. Severely disabled persons are given priority where applicants are equally qualified.
Your contact for any questions you may have about the job:
PD Dr. Falk Harnisch
Closing date for applications:
Place of work: LeipzigPlease use our online application system for your application.
More information about jobs at the UFZ:www.ufz.de/career
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Umweltforschung GmbH – UFZ
04318 Leipzig, Germany