The Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, a multidisciplinary centre for climate and Earth system research located in Hamburg, Germany, invites applications for
1 PhD in the field of ocean biogeochemistry (W060).
The applicant will be part of the Research Group Ocean Biogeochemistry in the Department The Ocean in the Earth System and will work within the DFG Project TERSANE. The research will focus on reconstructing the ocean carbon and nutrient cycles and their interactions with climate during the Permian-Triassic transition. The task will involve designing and conducting numerical experiments with the existing Earth system model of the MPI-M, which includes the ocean biogeochemistry model HAMOCC. One main objective of this project is to get a better understanding of the relationship between the observed dramatic climate changes (pCO2 and temperature rise) and nutrient cycling, changes in the carbon cycle and its consequences for marine life during P-T transition.
Qualifications / Experience
- The applicant is expected to hold a M.Sc. or diploma in Geosciences, Oceanography, Environmental Sciences, Physics or a related field.
- Experience, or a strong interest in ocean biogeochemistry and modeling is of advantage.
- Good skills in programming and computer science will be regarded very favorably, since the applicant will work with large-scale computing systems (unix or GNU/linux OS, parallel computing).
- Basic knowledge of numerical analysis and statistical methods are desirable.
- The position is offered for three years.
- This Ph.D. position is part of the International Max Planck Research School on Earth System Modelling (IMPRS-ESM).
- Payment will be in accordance with German public service positions up to TVoeD E13/65%, including extensive social security plans. The conditions of employment follow the rules of the Max Planck Society for the Advancement of Sciences and those of the German civil service.
- The Max Planck Society strives for gender and diversity equality. We welcome applications from all backgrounds.
- Handicapped persons with comparable qualifications receive preferential status.
How to submit your application
- a cover letter,
- a detailed curriculum vitae, and
- copies of certificates.
by uploading the documents in our online application system:
To complete your application, two reference letters are required. Applicants are asked to forward to their referees the IMPRS-ESM template reference sheet and information letter.
These can be downloaded from:
Please submit your application until 15 May 2019.
Further information on this position
For further information, please contact Dr. Tatiana Ilyina (tatiana.ilyina(at)mpimet.mpg.de). Please note that applications will be considered only when submitted via the online application system (see link above).