The “Helmholtz-Institute Erlangen-Nürnberg for Renewable Energies” (HI ERN) is as IEK-11 part of Forschungszentrum Jülich (FZJ) and works in close collaboration with the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg (FAU) and the Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB). The research in HI ERN is focused on the areas of innovative materials and processes for hydrogen technologies, photovoltaic energy and solar fuels, therefore covering novel approaches for the conversion and storage of CO2-neutral energy. More information about HI-ERN can be found at www.hi-ern.de.
The successful candidate will be part of the Electrocatalysis research department of the HI ERN led by Prof. Dr. Karl Mayrhofer. The research teams within the Electrocatalysis unit focus on the fundamental understanding of activity, stability and selectivity of electrochemically active materials, which play the essential role in sustainable technologies like water- and CO2-electrolyzers, as well as in fuel cells. Furthermore, understanding the same principles in nonaqueous electrochemical systems like electroorganic synthesis or batteries are decisive. We utilize internationally unique material and process characterization methods which are based on the sophisticated coupling of novel electrochemical techniques with online analytical tools. Thereby the aim is to significantly contribute to the development of electrochemical energy conversion as a future key player for electromobility and the energy policy in general.
We are looking to recruit a
Postdoc in Electrochemistry / Electrochemical Synthesis
- electrochemical conversion of CO2 and biomass to valuable chemicals (synthetic fuels), especially the application of new real time analysis methods during these reactions for process optimization with regard to catalyst activity, selectivity and stability
- electrochemical synthesis based on a fundamental approach coupled with in situ product analysis
- contribution to the progress of method development
- execution of experiments as well as analysis of data
- writing of papers and presentation of the results in conferences
- representation of the institute in project meetings
- excellent university degree in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Material Science or a relevant discipline and PhD in the field of electrochemistry or electroorganic synthesis
- good knowledge of organic chemistry, experience in synthesis
- strong interest in pursuing research in electrochemistry especially non-aqueous systems
- good mechanical skills, interest in building up new devices / work stations
- excellent organizational skills
- ability to show initiative and work independently
- excellent cooperation and communication skills and ability to work as part of a team
- excellent skills in spoken and written English
- a lively scientific environment within the institute and possibilities for cooperation with excellent partners at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, the Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule Aachen and abroad
- an excellent environment to perform sound, high-quality research at the international level
- daily, hands-on experience in worldwide-unique electrochemical characterization techniques
- excellent training in electrochemistry, electrocatalysis, material preparation/characterization, analytical chemistry
- participation in project meetings, as well as on national and international conferences to present the results and to develop further competencies
- limited position for 2 years with possible longer-term prospects
- various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- full-time position with the option of slightly reduced working hours
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD). Depending on the applicant`s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks, salary grade EG 13 TVöD-Bund
Place of employment: Erlangen
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably via our online recruitment system on our career site until 10. April 2019, quoting the reference number 2019-107.
Questions about the vacancy?
Contact us by mentioning the reference
number 2019-107: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that for technical reasons
we cannot accept applications via